It’s easy being green -- especially here at Frito-Lay. You've probably read about some of our sustainability initiatives here on Snack Chat including our "near net zero" plant in Casa Grande, Ariz., and our "Green Fleet" partnership. Last week, we hosted Eco Week at the Frito-Lay heaquarters where employees got a firsthand look at a variety of “green” activities.
Over the course of the week, our associates attended sessions on composting, gardening and energy and water conservation at home, as well as learned best practices for bringing our manufacturing plants’ commitment to "near-zero landfill” to life across our sites. There was even an on-site farmer’s market with locally sourced food, produce and other goods for sale.
The closing event was an Eco Fair featuring nearly 40 booths showcasing eco-friendly vendors and employee teams offering information (and free samples!) about products and services that can contribute toward “greener” living.
I had the opportunity to check out the fair, and a few of the vendors I visited included:
- Water Select – a company that makes reduced flow valves for shower heads to help conserve water (and save you a few bucks on your water bills!)
- Greenling – an organic grocery delivery service that brings fresh, healthy and sustainable food right to your doorstep
- Green Mountain Energy Company – an energy provider that uses 100 percent renewable energy sources (wind, sun and water) to generate electricity
- The Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center at Dallas – a center for agriculture research that offered us a lot of great information on sustainable gardening and outdoor water efficiency
- FoamMyWalls.com– a company that installs injectable wall foam insulation into homes, which can save up to 50 percent on energy bills
I walked away with a few items (pictured above) and a ton of ideas for ways I can leave behind a greener footprint. The best part was seeing so many fellow associates engaging with the vendors and showing a genuine interest in ways to live more sustainably. It shows that we really do talk the talk and walk the walk around here at Frito-Lay.
How are you celebrating Earth Day? Leave a comment below to let me know!